- September 21, 2023
- Posted by: EARSC
- Categories: Job offer, Members News
Location: Hybrid working / UK
Job Type: Full-time
About Geocento Ltd.
Geocento is viewed as an innovative player within the space sector, having led the development of web-based technologies for exploiting satellite imagery since 2011, with customers to date in over 65 countries.
Recent success in business development with some well-known international clients has meant that the company needs to recruit key personnel to support delivery and anticipated future growth.
Geocento is looking to recruit an innovative and ambitious individual to lead the development of our web-based imaging technology. The selected individual will have a real opportunity to make a mark on (and maybe move into) the industry, developing creative solutions to how the global satellite imaging constellation is accessed and exploited by markets. We are open minded in terms of the level of experience of the individual. Attitude, potential and ambition are particularly important beyond a foundation level of experience.
We are looking for an individual who has strong and creative problem-solving skills, with the ability to look for out-of-the-box solutions rather than to be accepting of “the way things are”.
The ideal candidate should have a strong foundation in Java and web technologies and experience with cloud services, particularly AWS and Kubernetes, including EKS. Experience with Python is a plus but not essential. The role requires an excellent command of English and the ability to translate complex problems into practical software solutions.
- Interact with the space sector (Geocento team, customers, partners and suppliers) to understand the challenges and priorities related to accessing and exploiting diverse data from the global satellite imaging constellation.
- Design and implement creative software solutions to these challenges using Java, web technologies, and potentially Python, leveraging AWS, Kubernetes, and EKS for efficient deployment and management of software solutions.
- Support the Geocento team in developing business strategy and priorities, and in their use of, and marketing of, solutions.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, GIS, or a related field, with at least 5 years of professional experience in software development with a strong emphasis on Java and web technologies.
- Proficient in Python or a willingness to learn.
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS, Kubernetes, and EKS.
- A commitment to recognised software engineering good practices and techniques, including (agile) software development processes and tools, with an instinctive capability to ensure that design and development in validated user need and priority.
- Eligibility for NATO security clearance.
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrable understanding of geospatial and earth observation technologies.
- Experienced in Open Source GIS technology such as MapServer, GeoServer, Postgresql + postgis
- IT experience, hands on experience of Linux, cloud computing, micro services
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits package, along with the opportunity to work in a dynamic and supportive environment with the opportunity for significant and rapid career advancement offered by a small and growing team.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV and a brief cover letter outlining their interest and qualifications for the role.
Geocento Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, or disability.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to email@example.com with the subject “Senior Software Developer – Your Name”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.