- April 28, 2023
- Posted by: EARSC
- Categories: EARSC News, EOcafe
Thursday, 4th May 2023, 16:00 CEST
Horizon Europe is the EU research and innovation framework programme with a period of seven years, 2021-2027. The programme boosts the European Research and innovation capacities, facilitates scientific collaboration across Europe and worldwide, and strengthens the impact of research and innovation in developing, supporting, and implementing EU policies.
Earth Observations (EO) is an indispensable tool to address global challenges like climate change, biodiversity loss, pollution or disasters, which are addressed in Pillar II of the Horizon Europe programme.
The Joint DG RTD-ESA Earth System Science Initiative (ESSI) aims at aligning several scientific activities under their Horizon Europe and FutureEO programmes in order to jointly advance Earth system science and its contribution to responding to the global challenges faced by society. Such a strong programmatic and institutional collaboration will be key to ensure that the scientific community maximises its scientific and societal impact and it will foster novel technologies to accelerate innovation. DG RDT has been working with the European Space Agency (ESA) to identify a number of priorities which are now reflected in the recent and forthcoming calls of Horizon Europe.
Finally, topics in Horizon Europe supporting the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) and its initiatives, including EuroGEO, are building on, and fostering the evolution of Copernicus Services. In this frame, also projects are funded to develop applications, tools and services, supporting evidence-based decision-making at local, national and global levels, which are needed to tackle climate change adaptation and mitigation, the protection of biodiversity and digitalisation.
With the objectives of fostering the R&I in the space sector and supporting the transition towards a more resilient, green and digital Europe, it is certain that many opportunities lie in the Horizon Europe programme.
Join us in the EOcafe as our host Geoff Sawyer (EARSC Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General) will discuss with Mr Franz Immler (Head of the Environmental Observation sector, DG RTD) about the current and upcoming opportunities in Horizon Europe for the EO Downstream services sector!
Some of the topics which they will be addressing during this EOcafe are:
- What is the structure of the Horizon Europe programme?
- Which calls under the work programme 2023-2024 can be of interest to the Earth Observation services companies?
- What are the objectives of the Joint DG RTD-ESA Earth System Science Initiative?
- What are the funding opportunities under the ESSI initiative?
- Which topics in Horizon Europe supporting GEO and EuroGEO are relevant for the Earth Observation services companies?
- How is Horizon Europe supporting the Destination Earth initiative?
Registration: The webinar is open to ALL. Registration is free but compulsory. Please click on the following link to register.
Please note this is a virtual event!
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
- The use of a video camera is not mandatory but is encouraged to facilitate better interaction between the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
- The EOcafe will stay open after 17:00 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
- By registering for this event, you accept the terms and conditions (https://earsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EARSC_Events_GDPR.pdf).
If you have any questions, and/or you want to know more about the EOcafe, and/or you want to share an idea about a future EOcafe, please contact Natassa (Natassa.Antoniou@earsc.org).
 Directorate General on Research and Innovation
 European Space Agency