- February 17, 2023
- Posted by: EARSC
- Categories: EARSC News, EOcafe
Data Space & Cross-initiatives
Thursday, 23rd of February 2023
Ambitious EU plans like the European Green Deal require an abundance of resources, including appropriate data. Data allows governments to identify risks, tailor policy response and resource allocation, monitor progress and identify trends. Hence, the European Green Deal requires investments in technologies and digital assets that are critical enablers for attaining the sustainability goals of the EGD in cross-sectoral thematics. Data and services will be essential to achieving this goal.
The EU’s “European strategy for data” and Data Governance Act identify data spaces as the instruments to achieve a single market for data, where data can flow within the EU and across sectors for the benefit of the citizens and our planet, through “a purpose- or a sector-specific or cross-sectoral interoperable framework of common standards and practices to share or jointly process data”.
The Common European Data Spaces exist in nine sectors: health, industrial, agriculture, finance, mobility, green deal, energy, public administration and skills. These dataspaces, which will need to be interoperable, will ensure that more data becomes available for use in research, the economy and society while keeping data rights-holders in control.
Given the number of data space initiatives, the EU Strategy for data aims at providing common requirements and best practices while integrating and federating existing data initiatives together with new initiatives.
As data space initiatives are numerous and diverse, Geoff SAWYER (EARSC Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General) will discuss with our guest Joeri ROBBRECHT (Policy Analyst – Environmental information management DG ENV, EC) to clarify the links between the EU Common European Data Space initiative and other similar activities.
Questions that could be addressed during this EOcafe include the following:
- What is a data space?
- Which role does Europe play in the creation of data spaces?
- Which are the Common European data spaces?
- How to get involved in the establishment of the Green Deal Data Space?
- Data spaces will need to be interoperable: how to achieve this interoperability?
- There are many data spaces, how to ensure the best result?
- What are the expectations from DG Connect?
Registration: The webinar is free but registration is compulsory. Please click on the following link to register.
Please note this is a virtual event!
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
- The use of a video camera is not mandatory but is encouraged to facilitate better interaction between the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
- The EOcafe will stay open after 17:00 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
- By registering for this event, you accept the terms and conditions (https://earsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EARSC_Events_GDPR.pdf).
If you have any questions, and/or you want to know more about the EOcafe, and/or you want to share an idea about a future EOcafe, please contact Natassa (firstname.lastname@example.org).