- October 3, 2022
- Posted by: EARSC
- Category: EOcafe
Accessing development finance for the EO downstream sector
Thursday 13th October 2022
Both within and beyond the ESA Global Development Assistance (GDA) programme, organisations from the European Earth Observation (EO) Service Sector are engaging with, and providing EO products and services to International Financial Institutions (IFIs), such as World Bank (WB) and Asian Development Bank (ADB). These institutions provide financing and advice to developing country governments to further their development objectives.
IFIs are large, complex organisations with structures, processes and language that are unfamiliar to the EO Service Sector. It can be difficult, therefore, for the EO Service Sector to understand the various facets of this potential market for EO and identify the needs and requirements of the potential IFI customers to tap into development finance for targeted EO solutions.
This EOcafe will offer EO services companies an opportunity to understand more about the work of IFIs and the world of development finance from ESA representatives at WB and ADB. The session will introduce the EO sector to development finance principles and instruments as well as highlight potential opportunities and challenges for integrating EO solutions. “Champion” industry representatives from the EO Service Sector will share experiences of working with IFIs through ESA’s EO4SD and GDA programmes as well as highlight selected success stories in leveraging development financing and pursuing new commercial opportunities.
Join us in the EOCafe where our host Geoff Sawyer (EARSC Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General) will be in conversation with Christoph Aubrecht (ESA, Program Coordinator, Global Development Assistance), Alex Chunet (ESA Representative at World Bank) and Paolo Manunta (ESA Representative at Asian Development Bank) discussing the access to development finance for the EO downstream sector.
Some of the key topics which they will be addressed during this EOcafe are:
- Overview of ESA partnership with IFIs (incl. GDA as current mechanism)
- Development Finance 101 (principles, organisations, instruments, procurement mechanisms)
- WB and ADB overview including strategic priorities and current level of awareness and use of EO data
- Spotlight – GDA ‘industry baseline survey’ in the context of impact assessment carried out under GDA M&E
- EO success story on past experiences with the WB and the ADB
Registration: The webinar is open to ALL but priority will be given to EARSC members. Registration is free but compulsory. Please click on the following link to register.
Please note this is a virtual event!
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
- The use of a video camera is not mandatory but is encouraged to facilitate better interaction among the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
- The EOcafe will stay open after 17:00 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
- By registering for this event, you accept the terms and conditions (https://earsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EARSC_Events_GDPR.pdf).
If you have any questions, and/or you want to know more about the EOcafe, and/or you want to share an idea about a future EOcafe, please contact Natassa (Natassa.Antoniou@earsc.org).