- September 17, 2021
- Posted by: EARSC
- Categories: European EO Industry, Internationalization
Disruptive technologies are transforming the world but very few of these technologies are being designed and deployed to solve development challenges. The World Bank Group’s (WBG) Disruptive Technologies for Development (DT4D) Program aims to solve critical development challenges by identifying and piloting impactful disruptive technology solutions. The DT4D Challenge awards funding for 5-10 pilots each year, which can potentially scale up and be implemented across the world through the WBG portfolio, expanding the impact of disruptive technology solutions for development.
This session will provide details of the DT4D Program, including its mission and results, as well as methodologies and technology trends consolidated from two rounds of supported pilots. The DT4D 1.0 and 2.0 pilots leverage technologies to transform all end-to-end steps in business models in many sectors of the economy. The COVID-19 pandemic has triggered an unprecedented demand for mainstreaming applications of digital and disruptive technologies across sectors and policy areas. DT4D aims to facilitate the design and deployment of these technologies in developing countries by means of a multistakeholder approach, financing, and system change methodologies, as well as regulatory and procurement considerations, among others.
Wednesday, Sep 29 2021 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM
(UTC-04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
This session will provide details of the DT4D Program, including its mission and results, as well as methodologies and technology trends consolidated from two rounds of supported pilots.
• 08:30am – Opening Remarks, Martha Martinez Licetti, Practice Manager, Markets & Technology Unit, Finance, Competitiveness and Innovation (FCI)
• 08:40am – Keynote Speaker, Kwangchul Ji, Director of Development Finance Division, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Republic of Korea
• 08:47am – Keynote Speaker, Sara Hormigo, Head of Multilateral Department. Economic and Commercial Office, Embassy of Spain in Washington, D.C.
• 08:54am – Introduction of DT4D Challenge, awardees, and teams
• 09:00am – Presentation DT4D 1.0 pilot “Unlocking Drones for Development”
• 09:15am – Presentation DT4D 2.0 pilot “Brought to you by Geodata: Responsible Banana Supply Chains”
• 09:30am – Insights in the partnership between European Space Agency (ESA) and DT4D, Christoph Aubrecht, Program Coordinator, Global Development Assistance, ESA
• 09:40am – Q&A
*All hours in EST