- November 19, 2020
- Posted by: EARSC
- Category: EARSC News
EARSC – the European Association of Remote Sensing Companies – is a non-profit trade association working on behalf of the geospatial information services industry in Europe; in particular the EO services sector which comprises companies generating information using satellite imagery. Established 30 years ago, today, EARSC has over 120+ members from throughout Europe and is gaining wide recognition as a key actor in the sector.
Of particular importance is the European Union flagship programme, Copernicus. This is offering new opportunities to the sector to help develop a commercial market and new commercial services. EARSC plays a key role as an interlocutor between the industry and the public stakeholders responsible for driving the Copernicus programme.
As well as a lobbying role, EARSC’s main effort is focused on helping to open up and develop the market for the products and services which the companies offer. We seek to understand and develop close links with other sectors in Europe and internationally which are (potential) users of these products and services.
The Business Manager position is a senior role within the association which will involve staff mentorship and the successful applicant will have significant room to shape the job to suit their particular skillset. The successful applicant will primarily be responsible for identifying projects which support the members, building partnerships, leading European projects and international market development, and mentoring junior staff.
The successful applicant will have a sound knowledge of the Earth observation sector and the European funding landscape. They will have well-developed networks and experience in the research and commercial sectors across Europe and globally. They will have sufficient maturity to help guide more junior staff in project management and develop them into successful, senior project managers.
The ideal candidate will be an effective and engaging presenter, able to promote the European Earth observation sector internationally and develop strong relationships with user organisations and cluster-like entities around the world, leading to increased market opportunities for EARSC members.
The job will include a certain amount of travel, both within and outside of inside Europe, with much activity being focused around Brussels and the European institutions/Entrusted Entities which play key roles in the Copernicus landscape.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Project acquisition – relationship building/maintenance, project construction, proposal writing/contributions;
- Supporting EARSC members in project acquisition;
- Leading and contributing to ESA and European funding proposals;
- Co-ordination of ESA, H2020 and Horizon Europe projects including coordinating internal and external teams to ensure successful project realization;
- International market development lead;
- Supporting the Secretary General with EARSC planning and strategy.
- 10 years of experience in EO-related field including commercial experience;
- A relevant university degree plus post-grad qualifications in an EO-related field;
- Experience in a matrix organisation;
- Experience winning and running EU funded projects;
- Excellent level of spoken and written English. Other languages are an advantage;
- Evidence of creative thinking and innovation; ability to take initiative;
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain a strong and relevant network.
The person will be employed through a consultancy contract as an independant or an employee under Belgian law. The terms and conditions of the contract are negotiable.
Candidates are invited to submit their CV together with a letter of motivation to EARSC at email@example.com before the 2nd of December, 2020.