- October 2, 2020
- Posted by: EARSC
- Category: EARSC News
The Perspective from the German Presidency
Thursday 8th of October 2020, 16:00-16:45 CEST
Germany took over the presidency of the European Council on 1st of July 2020 with important dossiers to tackle for the future of the European Union. Among them, the negotiations of the next Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) are crucial for the economic recovery of the EU after the pandemic crisis.
On the 21th of July, the Council has reached an historical agreement for the next MFF with a €750 billion recovery plan. The inclusion of this entirely new budget line has consequences for other budgets under the MFF with the consequence that, after intense negotiations, the much-awaited EU space budget has been cut with €4,810m allocated for the Copernicus programme. The Council’s agreement opened the way to formal negotiations with the European Parliament which is seeking additional spending for 15 flagship programmes mentioned in a resolution approved in July.
In the context of the on-going trilateral discussions between the Council, the Parliament and the European Commission, what is the future of the Space programme and especially the Copernicus programme?
In this EOcafe the following questions will be discussed:
- What is the current position of the Council regarding the ongoing negotiations with the Parliament and the European Commission?
- What could be the consequences of these negotiations for the Space programme?
- What are the planned measures to help the industry in the current situation?
- How will the European industrial strategy bring new opportunities for the space sector?
- The Covid crisis has put the European environmental focus at risk but the Council stated that the European Green Deal would remain a priority and would be at the heart of the economic recovery. What will be the impact of the new European’s growth plan on the space sector?
- How do you envision the European space strategy in the next decade?
Our host, Geoff SAWYER, EARSC’s Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General will exchange with our special guests:
- Kai-Uwe Schrogl, ESA, seconded to the German EU Council Presidency
- Haude Lannon, Senior Manager, International Public Policy, Access Partnership
Registration: This webinar is open to ALL but priority will be given to EARSC members. Registration is free but compulsory. Please click on the following link to register by the 8th of October at 11:00 (CEST).
Please note this is a virtual event! The details will be sent on Thursday 8th of September by noon.
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
IMPORTANT NOTES !!!
• The use of a video camera is not mandatory but encouraged to facilitate better interaction among the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
• The EOcafe will stay open after 16:45 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
If you have any questions or you want to know more about the EOcafes please contact Natassa (Natassa.firstname.lastname@example.org).