- September 1, 2020
- Posted by: EARSC
- Category: Members News
Our goal with Village Data Analytics (VIDA) is to bring reliable, modern electricity to the 2
billion people who still live without it. Much of the underserved population lives in rural
sub-Saharan Africa in areas that are uncharted territory — there is very little data available
about where and how people live, which makes planning difficult.
We want to change that with VIDA. VIDA helps solve the problem of energy access
planning using satellite imagery and on-ground data to give our customers insights into
rural communities that help them with planning.
We do this by combining deep experience in rural markets with the latest software
engineering practices and AI technologies. We cover these key areas with a unique team:
TFE Energy is a value led company based in Munich and Cape Town, South Africa. Our
team members bring in decades of experience in the energy access space across Africa
and Asia and an interdisciplinary team of energy access experts, engineers, finance
experts and data scientists. We are supported by the European Space Agency (ESA) to
appliedAI is Germany’s largest initiative fostering the application of AI technology in the
German industry landscape. AppliedAI aims to lift Germany to the AI age by accelerating
the adoption of AI technology. We do this through education (with e.g.: NVIDIA, Google,
Startups, and DAX-Companies), implementation of machine-learning software and
infrastructure solutions with companies (e.g. in the domain of AI-based automation,
computer vision, reinforcement learning) and by providing a neutral ground for knowledge
exchange between key players in the AI space.
We are now looking for a full-stack developer (full-time/internship) to join our VIDA
product development team at TFE Energy in Munich or Cape Town.
What we offer
● Opportunity to work in a diverse team to build a highly impactful and innovative product
at the intersection of the hottest topics in technology and social impact. The team
includes both top-notch AI practitioners, as well as frontier market entrepreneurs with
backgrounds in engineering, renewable energy, and finance.
● Atmosphere that encourages to think and experiment in new ways with software and
● A small team where your ideas, insights and decisions have a lot of weight and help
steer the product in the right direction.
● Option for a full-time position after your working student position
● If based in Munich, option to work from our Cape Town office for some time.
● Student/Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, STEM or similar
● A thorough understanding of programming / software design and service or
● Strong experience with programming languages like Python (most important),
C++, TypeScript, Scala, etc.
● Experience in RDBMS systems (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL)
● Experience in Back-end Development with frameworks such as Flask, FastAPI,
● Experience in Front-End Development with frameworks such as Angular and
● Experience with DevOps practices and tools (e.g. Docker and Kubernetes)
● Experience in the design of user interfaces and a good feeling for visually
● Experience in developing map-based user-interface is a plus.
● Fluent English
● Team player with a willingness to learn new things and good communication skills
- We highly encourage female candidates to apply!
● Be part of the agile product development team with experienced software and AI
engineers, working with the teams at appliedAI and TFE Energy to bring VIDA to life.
● You work on implementing VIDA’s front- and back-end. Your work will have high
visibility for the VIDA clients in Africa and Asia.
● Develop your own ideas and strive for an effective and clean codebase for VIDA.
● Contribute to other VIDA projects with customers across Africa and Asia to deploy the
technology you have helped develop.
Sounds interesting? Then please send your application — CV and a short motivational
letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . We look forward to hearing from you!
TFE Energy GmbH