The European Association of Remote Sensing Companies (EARSC) is a trade association based in Brussels. Whilst remaining a membership focused organisation, EARSC has recently been successfully winning contracts to expand its activities to support the industry which it represents. In consequence we are now seeking a Market Analyst to increase the core team.
EARSC – the European Association of Remote Sensing Companies – is a non-profit trade association working on behalf of the geospatial information services industry in Europe; in particular the EO services sector which comprises companies generating information using satellite imagery. Established 27 years ago, today, EARSC has over 80 members from throughout Europe and is gaining wide recognition as a key actor in the sector.
Of particular importance is the European Union flagship programme, Copernicus. This is offering new opportunities to the sector to help develop a commercial market and new commercial services. EARSC is playing a key role as interlocutor between the industry and the public stakeholders responsible for driving the Copernicus programme.
As well as a lobbying role, EARSC main effort is focused on helping to open up and develop the market for the products and services which the companies offer. We seek to understand and develop close links with other sectors which are users of these products and services. The Market Analyst will be asked to make a major contribution to this latter task.
An understanding of the market for our members’ services is essential for the execution of our tasks. We seek a market analyst who can help us meet this goal. It will be a key role at a key moment where the large increase in availability of EO satellite data as well as technology developments are transforming the way the sector works. The task is very open and will demand initiative and innovative thinking from the candidate as well as tenacity and willingness to adapt. Good interpersonal skills will be an essential to gain the trust of those working with us and in other sectors.
The Market Analyst will work in a small team of people, responsible to the EARSC secretary general. The job will involve conducting case analyses and market studies to understand the economic benefits of the technology and the potential size of specific market sectors. It will require interaction with representatives of other commercial sectors and to establish a good understanding and working relationship.
Working in a small team in an office in Brussels, the job will include a certain amount of travel mainly inside Europe with much activity being focused around Brussels and the European institutions which are strong influencers for our technology and its markets.
EARSC is seeking to help the sector develop new business both inside Europe and globally and, for the right candidate, the role could be extended to include developing export opportunities for the sector.
The position will offer a variety of work and represents an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience of working with EU bodies from an industry perspective. There is significant possibility to shape the job to suit the skills of the person recruited.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Economic research and analysis linked to the EO services industry and technology.
• Developing links with other commercial sectorial groups relevant to the market for EO services.
• Analysis of EU policy for its implications for the EO services industry especially linked to export markets and Copernicus
• Additional responsibilities may be conferred ie towards export market opportunities.
• A relevant university degree plus several years of experience.
• A background in market development or communications
• Knowledge of EO services especially from a user perspective
• Some economics knowledge would be an advantage
• Excellent level of English both spoken and written. Other languages are an advantage.
• Evidence of creative thinking and innovation; ability to take initiatives.
• An ability to network and build good working relationships.
• Ability to perform research tasks using both Internet tools and other direct methods.
• Excellent knowledge of the use of Excel for analytic purposes and Microsoft Office in general
Candidates are invited to submit their CV together with a letter of motivation to EARSC at secreatriat(at)earsc.org, cc projects(at)earsc.org with the subject line [EARSC Job] Market Analyst position (Candidate Name ).