16th November 2023, 16.00-17.00 CET
The downstream space and geoinformation sector faces a number of challenges, including a gender-imbalanced workforce, an aging society, and a shortage of relevant skills. Although a rich offer of academic training exists in universities, the actual offer often focuses mainly on the upstream part of the space sector, while the downstream part, and especially the different application domains related to the space downstream and geoinformation sector are underrepresented.
The academic and vocational education and training (VET) offered is also lagging behind the evolving needs of the industry, businesses, public sector actors, and society at large and is less developed and standardised than for other related sectors. Moreover, the benefits and opportunities that the sector can provide for other business areas are not fully considered, nor exploited, despite a strong and diversified downstream service industry present in Europe.
The SPACE4GEO Large-scale Skills Partnership was promoted under the EC initiative Pact for Skills to address these challenges and promote coordinated efforts aimed at up-skilling and re-skilling the workforce and attracting new talents to target a career in the space domain, supporting the implementation of the main EU Space Strategies.
The Partnership pursues equal and inclusive access to training to activate more people for the space sector labour market across different value chains (vertical sectors) and is committed to helping and guiding learners in their skilling, upskilling and reskilling efforts, supporting them to access quality training. Continuous exchange and cooperation among stakeholders from the academic, private and public sectors on skills development and requirements is encouraged, as well as cooperation with other initiatives in the space domain.
In this EOCafe, our host Geoff Sawyer (EARSC Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General) will discuss with Maria Vittoria D’Inzeo (Policy Officer, DG DEFIS, European Commission) and Milva Carbonaro (Coordinator, GISIG) how the Large Scale Skills Partnerships can support the skills needed to achieve the goals of the EU Space Strategy.
Other topics that would be addressed during this EOCafe are:
- What are the main policies supported by SPACE4GEO?
- Why a Large-scale Skills Partnership was needed to support the ecosystem?
- How can companies benefit from the SPACE4GEO Large-scale Skills Partnership?
- What are the concrete actions that the LSP can do to enable skills development in the sector?
- What are the main challenges to face? What are the opportunities?
- How can the Commission support achieving the objectives of SPACE4GEO?
- After the concrete implementation of the SPACE4GEO Large-scale Skills Partnership, what are the next steps to promote up-skilling and re-skilling the workforce? What is the way forward?
Registration: The webinar is open to all. Registration is free but compulsory.
Please note that this is a virtual event!
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
- The use of a video camera is not mandatory but is encouraged to facilitate better interaction between the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
- The EOcafe will stay open after 17:00 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
- By registering for this event, you accept the terms and conditions (https://earsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EARSC_Events_GDPR.pdf).
If you have any questions, and/or you want to know more about the EOcafe, and/or you want to share an idea about a future EOcafe, please contact Tanya (email@example.com).