- April 8, 2021
- Posted by: EARSC
- Categories: EOcafe, European EO Industry
Enabling Artificial Intelligence & Earth Observation Ιnnovation
Thursday 15th of April 2021, 16:00-16:45 CEST
Delivering 12 TB of space data per day, Copernicus is the world’s largest space data provider. This high volume presents a serious challenge to analysts. At the same time, Artificial Intelligence (AI) is becoming an indispensable and ubiquitous tool for growth and innovation. In this context, the EU-funded AI4Copernicus project will bridge the EU AI on-demand platform AI4EU with Copernicus Data and Information Access Services (DIAS) platforms to allow innovative players to break new ground. The project will organise, fund and support four open calls for SMEs, facilitating the development of novel, useful and ethical-by-design artificial intelligence innovations (8 small-scale experiments and 9 larger-scale use-cases).
By bridging the gap between AI-driven and data-driven EO innovation, and linking leading European ecosystems, such as AI4EU and Earth Observation, Copernicus and DIAS’s; AI4Copernicus aims to create sustainable, cutting edge applications in domains of high economic, societal and environmental impact, such as Agriculture, Energy, Environment and Security among others. AI4Copernicus will harness the full power of new technologies such as AI and EO data, and in collaboration with industrial players in the ecosystem such as ICT companies, startups, it will facilitate the co-creation of value and the provision of actionable insights and policy recommendations for European economic and political decision makers.
This EOcafe will elaborate on the goals and objectives of AI4Copernicus and will provide details about the AI4Copernicus Open Calls.
Our host, Geoff Sawyer (EARSC’s Strategic Advisor and former Secretary General) will discuss with Vangelis Karkaletsis (Director at the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications of NCSR Demokritos & Coordinator of AI4Copernicus) and Xenia Ziouvelou (Research Associate at NCSR Demokritos & Lead of the AI4Copernicus Open Calls) the activities of the AI4Copernicus project, its Open Calls and the rewards for successful applicants !
In this EOcafe we will discuss the following:
· Why it is important to bridge the gap between AI and Earth Observation communities?
· How can we meet this challenge?
· What is the AI4Copernicus project about? And how will AI4Copernicus help in bringing the AI and EO communities closer together?
· How can companies get involved in the AI4Copernicus Open Calls? And what is the AI4Copernicus Trustmark?
· Which are the rewards for the successful applicants of the AI4Copernicus Open Calls? And how will AI4Copernicus support successful Open Calls projects?
· How will AI4Copernicus facilitate citizen-driven value-creation with AI and EO data?
Registration: This webinar is open to ALL but priority will be given to EARSC members. Registration is free but compulsory. Please click on the following link to register.
Please note this is a virtual event!
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
SAVE THE DATES for the next EOcafe:
IMPORTANT NOTES !!!
• The use of a video camera is not mandatory but encouraged to facilitate better interaction among the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
• The EOcafe will stay open after 16:45 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
If you have any questions, and/or you want to know more about the EOcafe, and/or you want to share an idea about a future EOcafe, please contact Natassa (Natassa.firstname.lastname@example.org).
 Adopting the European Ethical AI Requirements for a Trustworthy AI proposed by the EU High Level Expert Group on AI (7 key requirements) https://ec.europa.eu/futurium/en/ai-alliance-consultation/guidelines#Top