It is our pleasure to send this first Announcement of the session on “Leveraging EO services to help monitoring SDGs, the industry contribution” to be held in the framework of the European GEO projects workshop from 19-21 June 2017 in Helsinki
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are being launched with an emphasis on collecting data that will be extensive and specific enough to serve these needs. They are designed to balance the three dimensions of sustainable development: the economic, social and environmental. European EO industry can help achieve the SDGs by providing critical information on natural resources, government operations, public services, and population demographics. Industry helps on the SDG implementation role, monitoring, reporting, and the facilitation and shaping of reporting methods, policy and tools. These insights can inform national priorities and help determine the most effective paths for action on national issues.
The industry overall could help on:
- the stage of the improvement cycle (plan, do, check, act, review)
- improving efficiency and effectiveness of public services
- increasing transparency, accountability
- facilitating better information-sharing within government
The workshop will bring experts from the public and private sectors to underline the key priorities of GEO with regards to industry engagement and how to work in practise for the uptake of R&D projects.
The panel will be focus on existing business cases against the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It will allow to make evidence on the actual capabilities of EO industry using relevant indicators that may be useful when contributing to the SDGs (measuring/reporting).
DRAFT AGENDA for the interactive round table discussion on Tuesday 20th June from 16h45-18h30
Registration & Welcome coffee
• What support do private sector need in the engagement with GEO and how can it be enabled? by Geoff Sawyer, EARSC
• How EuroGEOSS best shape the engagement of the private sector? by Gilles Ollier, EC DG-RTD
• What are the most effective ways to encourage industry in GEO? by Douglas Cripe, GEO secretariat
Round table will cover issues as:
- How can industry and GEO work better together?
- What are the most effective ways to encourage industry contribution to GEOSS?
- How can businesses be encouraged to better understand and deliver services to support SDG´s?
- How can different institutional structures (National, EC and GEO) effectively support the engagement of the private sector?
- How can operational services be leveraged to create more sustainable services for custodian agencies?
Round table: Haris Kontoes (GEOCradle), (GMV), Nuno Catarino (NextGEOSS) …
Q&A for the panel
Wrap up: Developing a strategy for the improved involvement of Industry in GEO
To help us develop a programme that meets your interest, please express interest to participate by contacting EARSC (monica.miguel-lago_at_earsc.org)