REQUEST FOR CONTRACTOR
Deadline for applications: 28 May 2010
Terms of Reference:
Coordinate the implementation of the Forest Carbon Tracking Task of the GEO Work Plan
o Liaise with all participants in the task to ensure coordinated implementation;
o Liaise with key national, regional and global initiatives and programs in order to identify and track worldwide activities on forest monitoring and carbon tracking;
o Monitor and assess global policy developments and technical/programmatic
developments relevant to forest carbon monitoring.
Coordinate and facilitate the activities of the GEO Task on forest carbon monitoring o Monitor and foster the execution of GEO forest and carbon tracking activities by GEO Members and Participating Organizations;
o Support day-to-day coordination of the GEO Task team, including participating in its working meetings;
o Liaise with global, regional and national entities contributing to forest and carbon tracking activities in order to ensure their continuous commitment to implementing the Task;
o Maintain detailed “Statements of Work” needed for the Task Implementation Plan and coordinate its finalization and future updates.
Ensure synergies with other GEO Tasks and consistency with GEOSS implementation
o Liaise with other relevant GEO Tasks, particularly those on forests and on global carbon monitoring, in order to reinforce synergies;
o Support concept definition and progressive implementation of a GEOSS global Forest Monitoring Network, taking into account its relevance to several Societal Benefit Areas.
Position GEO in a leadership role
o Work actively to ensure that GEO’s activities and results fit into policy frameworks.
o Prepare and edit meeting reports, technical & scientific reports, periodic progress reports and inputs to documents and publications;
o Prepare and actively participate in official meetings of the GEO Committees, Executive Committee and Plenary.
o Represent GEO in relevant international bodies and at conferences and meetings.
o Carry out other relevant duties as required.
Qualifications and requirements:
The successful candidate will have:
1. An extensive and in-depth understanding of the key technical, operational and
organizational issues of Forest Carbon Monitoring; technical coordination and
management experience in this field, a good knowledge of related international programmes;
2. In-depth knowledge of GEO and GEOSS, and in particular of related GEO Work
3. Longstanding experience in the definition and implementation of complex, international, co-operative programmes;
4. In depth knowledge of the Remote Sensing space community, satellite capabilities and applications, as well as issues connected to data distribution;
5. Good knowledge of the GEOSS potential “Users” and good understanding of their needs and internal processes;
6. Higher university education, excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in English;
7. Maturity of judgement, ability to take initiative and produce original ideas, the ability to plan, organize and manage projects;
8. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work in international settings with representatives from a range of countries and geographical regions.
Duration of contract: The contract will be for a period of 18 months. The location will be the GEO Secretariat in Geneva.
Starting date: 1 July 2010
Interested applicants should apply via email to the GEO Secretariat at: Director@geosec.org
The following documents should be submitted no later than 28 May 2010:
1. Letter of interest addressed to Secretariat Director José Achache;
3. Three professional references.
Due to the expected volume of applications, receipt of applications cannot be
acknowledged individually. Only applicants in whom GEO has a further interest will
Details can be found on the GEO Secretariat web site:
The GEO Secretariat: www.earthobservations.org