Are you passionate about our planet, how satellites help us understand its functions and sharing via social media? Then ESA’s next SocialSpace event is for you.
We are inviting social media users to apply to join us for the launch of the second Sentinel-2 satellite at ESA’s mission control in Darmstadt, Germany.
In Europe, it will be the place to be for the Sentinel-2B event, and invitees will get an exclusive insider’s look at the launch, at the incredible science, engineering, applications and businesses behind Copernicus, Europe’s most ambitious Earth observation programme ever, and meet the experts who are making it happen. Don’t miss your chance to snap, post, tweet, blog and share this experience with the world.
As a Sentinel launch SocialSpace participant, you will have opportunities to:
- Meet and interact with ESA and European specialists on land and food, coasts and security, cities and society, space technology and new business opportunities
- Receive special briefings and updates from ESA’s flight control experts
- Follow the launch via live video feed from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana
- Meet the experts who are bringing the Sentinel missions to life
- Join a behind-the-scenes guided tour of ESA’s mission control facilities
Not sure what Copernicus is? Or how ESA is playing a key role in flying the Sentinel missions? Click here to learn more!
Sentinel launch SocialSpace is being held in conjunction with the launch of Sentinel-2B on a Vega rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. Liftoff is set for 01:49 GMT (02:49 CET), the early hours of Tuesday, 7 March, and flight teams at ESA’s mission control centre in Darmstadt will assume control of the satellite just an hour later.
For active social media users
This event is designed for people who:
- Have a keen interest in planet Earth and how satellites gather data
- Actively use multiple social media channels, platforms and tools to share information with a unique and growing audience
- Regularly produce new content and make, share and reuse images, audio and video
- Can reach audiences using their social media channels and at offline venues such as presentations at schools, universities and clubs
- Have previous postings that are respected and accurate
Dates, times and venue
Sentinel launch SocialSpace will get under way in the afternoon of Monday, 6 March, and continue through until about 07:00 GMT (08:00 CET) on Tuesday, 7 March.
It will be held at ESA’s mission control centre, which is near the main train station in Darmstadt, Germany, about 30 km from Frankfurt.
To apply, please complete the application form online via: Apply online here