ESA began exploring the potential of Satellite Earth Observation (EO) in the context of Development Aid/Assistance activities during 2010-15. Since then it has been collaborating closely with the International Financial Institutes on the use of EO (covering the timeframe 2016-2020) on larger-scale activities. The next phase is the ‘Mainstream &Transfer’ of EO into development. The Global Development Assistance – GDA, ESA’s new programme, will be implemented in a joint, coordinated initiative (“Space in support of International Development Assistance”), with the World Bank (WB) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB), from 2020-2024 at an initial level of 30 M€.
Within the framework of this new joint initiative, WB and ADB will each set up dedicated Trust Funds (TFs) in 2020/21. The target is that the WB TF will be aimed at 100 M US$ (with global geographic scope), and the ADB TF will be aimed at 35 M US$ (with focus on Asia/Pacific region).
Would you like to know more about those initiatives and particulary about ESA’s GDA program as it starts to be implemented? Join us on May 28, 2020 at 16:00-16:45 (CET), to get the latest information from Stephen Coulson, Head of Sustainable Initiatives Office, Science, Applications and Climate Department, in the ESA Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes. Also, learn more about the opportunities which will arise for the Earth Observation industry.
In this EOcafe we will address the following:
• What is the “Space in support of International Development Assistance” initiative?
• Which actitives will be supported with these 135 US$?
• What does the ESA’s Global Development Assistance program cover?
• What are the new technical knowledge developments (information products, user-oriented analytics tools) that are required?
• Which initial sectors will it suport?
Registration: This webinar is open to ALL but priority will be given to EARSC members. Registration is free but compulsory. Please click on the following link to register by the 28th of May at 11:00 (CET).
Please note this is a virtual event! The details will be sent on Thursday 28th by noon.
EOcafe is part of a series of EARSC meetings that offer timely, relevant, and practical information on a broad variety of topics related to the EO sector. Join us every two weeks to discuss and network while enjoying a cup of coffee with friends.
IMPORTANT NOTES !!!
• The use of video camera is not mandatory but encouraged to facilitate better interaction among the attendees and the guest speaker(s).
• The EOcafe will stay open after 16:45 in case our guests want to continue the discussion.
If you have any questions or you want to know more about the EOcafes please contact Natassa (Natassa.email@example.com).