European Earth observation companies understand how important it is to be creative, innovative, and inventive in order to react to the rapid evolution in the sector. The exponential increase in data available from all sources promises radical change and the EARSC industry competition will recognize this. For the first year, under the umbrella of the EU Framework Program for Research and Innovation ConnectinGEO project, it will reward a company which has developed the most innovative product integrating an element of open data ideally discoverable through the GEOSS broker services.
Companies are invited to show their interest before 27th November 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org. During the 1st week of December a first WEBEX will be organized where companies may be briefed on which types of data are available through the GEOSS – GCI Factsheet (Recipe) and making use of the GEOSS Discover Access Broker (Search & Discovery API). Partners in the ConnectinGEO H2020 project will inform via WEBEX to potential entrants on the possibilities which are presented.
The competition will run over a 6 month period (December 2015-May 2016) during which time they may adapt an existing product, develop a new product or simply promote one they have already in their catalogue. Companies will be asked to provide a short summary of the results (Report should not exceed 2 pages) which will be used as statement for the jury.
This year’s award will be announced during the EARSC annual cocktail where the winner of the EARSC “European Earth Observation company of the year” is also revealed.
Criteria: eligibility requirements & metrics
- Any commercial product integrating an element of open data resources (ideally data discoverable by GEOSS Discover Access Broker). Note: Copernicus data is eligible.
Report on the findings (not exceed 2 pages)
- Explain what type of innovation product the company offers using open data and the degree to which the product depends on the open data
- Describe the challenge: What problem this product will solve/what solution will this provide? Companies should explain the circumstances surrounding the development of this new product
- Expected impact and clients to address
- Interest: 27th November 2015
- 1st WEBEX: 1st week December 2015
- Intermediate WEBEX: guiding the companies in February 2016
- Dead-line entries: 15th May 2016
- Selection: the files will be judged by the jury to select the overall product winner (Period May15th-May 31st)
- Announcement: EARSC cocktail late June 2016 in Brussels